Claws Up Games
Based in Lyon, France
PC / Mac
CHOP is a fast-paced arena fighting game with a twist : your goal is not to have the highest kill count but to escape the arena by taking a portal. One hit to kill, respawn almost instantly : CHOP is meant to give a feeling close to what you can experience in fast FPS such as Quake or DOOM, mixed with platformer setting and influences from Towerfall, Nidhogg and Super Smash Bros. Blood and guts in a torn apart world, with a comic book vibe : CHOP speaks to those who like gore, comics, post-apo and are looking for a supercharged party game.
The first prototypes were made back in 2015. The idea was to build something competitive and fun to play in the same room, something players miss from the 90's. Indeed, online multiplayer tends to be the only option to enjoy games with friends nowadays. After many iterations we came up with the game mechanic that makes CHOP really stand out : portals.
- Portals : When you slaughter an opponent, your portal opens : your goal is to escape through it. If you get killed before, it closes and you have to kill again. Once you've reached it, you have to wait a short moment to be pulled out of the arena. You can't defend yourself and can get killed during this crucial instant ! This is what makes battles in CHOP so intense, any action can be a game changer.
- Multiple ways to kill : dash and slice through your opponent, throw your sword and impale him on a wall or grab him and tear him apart with your bare hands. Or maybe grab this ridiculously big gun and obliterate all scumbags around ?
- Call Back : throw your sword and call it back in a devastating whirl that will shred all the flesh on its way. Butcher style !
- Telekinesis : control your sword like a homing missile, feint and surprise your opponent by the back door...
- Teleport : teleport yourself (duh !) on your sword almost instantly, you sneaky little bastard !
- Double sword : two swords for the price of one, that's right. Icing on the cake, you can trigger a deadly electric arc between your swords.
- Glorious dismemberments, delightful executions, silly gory graphics all wrapped up in a comic book style.
- Angry rock music is the best, and contributes to give the visceral feeling of CHOP battles !
- Prepare to laugh and/or insult your buddies when one of these fuckers manages to kill you and reverses the situation to his advantage, just before you would have escaped ! Simply THE game to play with friends, if you're not afraid to ruin friendships !
CHOP : early gameplay trailer YouTube
Gameplay footage : Rush Out YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "FLIP : Jury prize" Parthenay, France, 23 July, 2017
- "STUNFEST : Audience award" Rennes, France, 21 May, 2016
- "Indie Game Lab : official selection" JapanTouch/GeekTouch, April, 2017
- "Indie Game Lab : official selection" JapanTouch/GeekTouch, April, 2016
Request Press Copy
We are afraid this developer has not upgraded their presskit() to use distribute(). For security purposes, this form has been disabled.
About Claws Up Games
Claws Up Games is an independant game studio founded by two french dudes. We love beer, couch games and silly gory stuff. We are working hard to release CHOP, a fast-paced arena fighting game with a twist : your goal is not to have the highest kill count but to escape the arena by taking a portal.
More information on Claws Up Games, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Coder, Game/Level Designer, project manager
3D artist, animator
Concept artist, 2D artist
Level Designer, UI Designer, VFX artist